The Department of community medicine at BJMC is one of the first department to be established in 1958 under the guidance of Dr. P. D. Paranjpe. The department is one of the members of National Public Health consortium under NIHFW as the apex body. It plays a key role in analyzing and solving Public Health problems along with regular involvement in all academic & administrative avenues of the college. It is nodal centre of training in filed epidemiology in which training is imparted to Epidemiologist and District Surveillance Officers of Gujarat and other States of India. Department is regional training centre for ‘Vector Borne Disease Control Program’. The Community Medicine Department has made notable contributions in various research studies in collaboration with the Indian Council of Medical Research. The World Health Organization (W.H.O.) has recognized the college for its innovation in integrated teaching and training programs in child health services, universal immunization. Various National and International research projects have also been undertaken by the department. The department conducts IMNCI training to Anganwadi workers, supervisors and medical officers. Currently this institute has been identified as Centre for Certificate Course in Community Health (CCCH).
Facilities in the department for teaching/ training and research
- Adequate, well qualified and trained staff according to MCI norms.
- Lecture theater/seminar rooms/tutorial room/demonstration room.
- AV Aids with computer facilities.
- Vehicle for field visits.
- Updated museum.
- Updated library with more than 1000 referral books.
- Public health laboratory.
- Adequate paramedical staff for field training.
- Well-equipped training room.
Some of the activities undertaken by department include:
- Family Medicine OPD day – Monday to Saturday
- Urban Health Training centre (Asarwa) – Monday to Saturday
- Health Camps in field practice area – Monday to Saturday
- Celebration of important health related days annually – World TB day, World AIDS day, World NO-TOBBACO day, etc.
- Conducting quiz competition among UG students every year on world health day on the basis of world health day theme.
- Celebration of breast feeding week every year as poster competition in collaboration with pediatrics department.
- Participation in evaluation and training in various health programs of state government agencies such as HIV/ AIDS, RCH, GDM, NCD, Mission Indradhanush, IPV etc.
Data collection for research work on immunization coverage, Gestational Diabetes, Swine flu as well as enrollment and utilization of various health schemes.